Labels

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Day 5 of 18 (Missouri to Iowa)

FromKansas City, MO

To: Cedar Falls, IA

Miles Driven: 386 Today / 2449 Total

Miles Hiked: .5 Today / 2.5 Total 

We got off to a late start this morning since I accidentally messed up my alarm. I also woke up feeling poopy with thick green/yellow snot (awesome).  BUT we headed on our way to Elk Horn, Iowa.

Elk Horn is one of those places that you find on the internet that makes it seem like a lot more than it is.  It was very "small town" which isn't bad at all. However, things that were supposed to be open (so we could eat lunch) were closed which made for some rumbly bellies.

We were able to see the Windmill, Viking Cabin, and tour the Dutch Museum. Justin likes museum/history type thing about 500 million times more than I do so he probably enjoyed it more than I. And since I was quickly fading and feeling awful at this point that probably didn't help. There was a pretty "trail" through the town and meadows nearby, but I couldn't make it so we turned back about half way through.

Since we missed "lunch" we decided for an early dinner and headed to some random mall in Des Moines to get "Maid-Rite" for a "loose meat sandwich". Like a sloppy joe without the sauce. Many much websites that list the "famous food of Iowa" suggested it. It was fine. Elijah was sad it was sauce-less though.

I will say there were some beautiful areas on the drive. I also slept most of the drive trying to shake whatever it is that is creeping its way into my being.

I am also sad we missed our only "Iowa" friends by a few weeks since they just moved back to California.

Until tomorrow my friends!









No comments:

Post a Comment