Labels

Friday, February 12, 2016

The Twin Story (Part 2)



For Part 1 please click HERE

For a few hours I sat (shivering in a hospital gown because I’m ALWAYS cold and I was wearing nothing but a hospital gown and the room temp was set to 64).

A nurse came in to take a swab in my personal bits to test for something called fetal fibronectin (fFN):
Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is a fibronectin protein produced by fetal cells. It is found at the interface of the chorion and the decidua (between the fetal sac and the uterine lining). It can be thought of as an adhesive or "biological glue" that binds the fetal sac to the uterine lining.” (Wikipedia)

My doctor told me – if you test positive for fFN we will keep you over the weekend.  If test negative we might let you go home.  She explained that fFN is begins to show when a woman’s body is “prepping” for delivery.  A positive does NOT mean I’ll have the baby in the next few days, but it is a good indication that it is highly probable.

I listened.  I heard.  I focused on “might let you go home”.  I’m fine.  I’ve always had easy pregnancies.  The test will be negative and I will go home on bed rest.  I will work from home until I deliver.  I GOT THIS!

An hour or so later they let me know the test came back positive.  She wanted to keep me over the weekend for monitoring.

ONE weekend… I can handle this.

My hospital bed rest was now beginning.  The rules?
·         You can get up to go the bathroom
·         You canNOT sit up (must be on laying on one of your sides)
·         You can sit up to eat, then lay right back down

ONE weekend… I can handle this.

Sometime in the middle of the night a nurse comes in with a pill.  She tells me I’m having about 3 contractions an hour.  This pill will help stop them.  I take the pill and go back to sleep.

ONE weekend… I can handle this.

After the first day I realize I have NOTHING.  No change of clothes, no toothbrush, no brush, no cell phone charge, no shampoo….can I even take a shower?

I beg Justin to bring me a few things to last me the ONE weekend.  I get the OK to take 1 shower a day for no more than 15 minutes.

ONE weekend…I can handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment