Labels

Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Ultimate Parenting Test

I know I've said it before, but there is something evil about homework.  How is it that homework turns children into distracted, crying, hyper messes and turns parents into bodies of pure rage?

I hate homework. I hate how it makes my kids act. I hate how I respond to the way my kids are acting. I hate that my mostly patient self suddenly becomes short, snippy, and even occasionally cruel.

I hate that it is 20 minutes after my daughter's bed time but she is still struggling through homework that is stretching her a little beyond what she is ready for.

BUT (that's a big but...and that makes me giggle like my 8 year old son) it is pretty awesome that the book she is struggling through is one of my favorite books.  It is exciting to listen to her ask questions about what she is reading when I know the exciting stuff that is coming.  My Taytor-tot loves to read and I've been pushing her to read more challenging books so she can get better. I love seeing her work through the new words and think through the challenging story line as it unfolds.

I hate homework, but I sort of love that she's getting old enough for me to share some of my favorite things with.


No comments:

Post a Comment