Labels

Friday, December 14, 2012

A Reminder - They are Not My Own

I walked home from school one day in high school and saw a little boy about 8 years old across the street.

Boy: Hey Sexy, why don’t you come over here and show me some love ::gestures to his boy parts::

I ignored him and kept walking as he continued to shout at me.  A man in a car pulled up next to him.

Man: Get in the car
Boy: Dad, that bi*%& is ignoring me
Man: Hey bi*&$ my boy’s talking to you – don’t ignore him.  If you knew what was good for you, you’d obey a man when he tells you what to do.

I ignored them and kept walking as they drove along side me and yelled and continued to make inappropriate gestures and comments.

After they gave up I began to cry and decided at that point – I’m never having kids.  If the world we are in today produces kids like that I didn’t want to bring a kid into the world and expose them to it.

That obviously didn’t happen and I’m glad I have my 3 beautiful babies.  But then things happen.  Stupid, sinful, fallen people make horrible decisions and I remember that day when I vowed not to have kids.

As a parent I could “shelter” my kids.  I could keep them home instead of going to a public school. I could only let them hang out with friends from church.  I could hide them away so they do not get “damaged” or “tarnished” and keep them to myself. 

But I don’t.

It is not my job to protect them from sin.  They are born into.

It is my job to show them the truth and the way to be redeemed from that sin; then to give them the opportunity to spread that truth to a world full of lies.

Which choice brings more glory to God? After all, they do not really belong to me so who am I to prevent them from doing what their Father has called them to do?

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment