Labels

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Little Bell Pepper


So first GOOD NEWS!  I met with the Genetic Counselor and Perinatologist yesterday and some things happened.

First: The genetic counselor highly suggested the amnio since it is the “only diagnostic test that is accurate”.  She said everything else is screening and there can still be risks relying on those results.  But with a miscarriage rate that ranges from 1:200 – 1:500 (worse the further along you are).  We (My case worker and I) did not see the point, but it isn’t our decision.

Next: I had the Level 2 ultrasound with the perinatologist.  There were NO markers for Down Syndrome!  Nothing even slightly questionable.  She looks great.  There was a small cyst in her brain that could be an indicator of Trisomy 18.  The cyst itself is a non-issue that should go away on its own in a few weeks (common).  She did however look in detail for any other marker for Trisomy 18 and again the baby was completely clear!  From the ultra sound she looks like perfect little wiggle worm.

The genetic counselor still wants us to do the amnio, but based on all of the information the IP (intended parents) have decided to wait.  They have sent all the information on to the Fertility Doctor review and will move forward with what he recommends.  Last time we talked to him he was against the amnio (even before he knew the ultrasound results) so I think this is great news.

Now let’s get to the fun stuff.  This little girl is the size of a bell pepper and her little punches and flops are more prominent this last week.  She’s not strong enough to show the external signs of movement, but I can feel her wriggle in my belly.  Seeing the ultrasound yesterday was an amazing moment.  Pure excitement, but like I would be looking at an ultrasound for a good friend.  I didn’t look and think “there’s my baby” and I didn’t feel a “connection” with that little girl on the screen, but I was excited for life.

I was excited for her life and just silently prayed for all the amazing things God will do in her life.  She will be treasured gift to this mom and dad who have waited so long.  She is loved in such a deep way and being prayed for by so many and that is exciting.

So here is her picture (I was sad not to get the profile one though).  And thank you for all of your prayers that I have no doubt had an impact on her little life this last week.

Prayer Request:

·         That no further tests are needed (give my body a break and my stress levels down)

·         That she continue to grow strong and healthy

·         That the IP see God working through all of this and get to experience his love through my family

·         That I get some energy back so I can stop falling asleep 5 seconds after sitting down pretty much anywhere

·         That my body handles this pregnancy well so I can take the 2-4 weeks off work I want instead of 8-12 that may be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment