Labels

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

6 Days To Go - Congratulations?

What's the fun in being a surrogate if you can't have a ridiculous sense of humor?

There's this line of amazing surrogacy t-shirts I always told myself I'd get, but never did:

- My oven, their bun
- Their Peas, my pod
- (triangle with a pregnant lady, a husband and a wife) It's complicated.

The last one is my favorite. So you get a picture!



So, one of my favorite stories was after the delivery of my first surro baby.  The baby and mom stayed in my room with me because they were out of rooms in the hospital and I didn't want the mom to have to spend her first couple days as a mom only seeing the baby in the nursery for small amounts of time. At one point, the mom asked if she could leave the baby with me for a couple of hours so she could go buy a new car and car seat that were safe for baby.

Sure, why not. I really didn't mind.

So here I was holding the baby and the nurse walks in and without really looking at me, she looks at the baby and says, congratulations! She's beautiful.

To which I respond. Thanks, I'll tell the mom you think so.

She looked up and suddenly realized that small Asian baby didn't belong to me and had a panicked look on her face.

To avoid alarms going off (literally), I let her know I was the surrogate and the mom had stepped out. I did have a wrist band that matched the baby's.  She checked. Laughed it off. And left the room.

We're still holding out hope that at this delivery one of the nurses in the room won't realize it is a surrogacy so Justin can watch the baby born then say "That's not my baby!"

However, with the mom and dad standing in the room it probably won't work.


No comments:

Post a Comment