Labels

Friday, February 17, 2012

To Have and To Hold

I’m not talking about marriage. I felt the need to throw that out right away. I also feel the need to justify some things before I actually tell you why I’m writing since so many people “frown” on “it”.
We have 3 kids and 3 bedrooms. Since Justin and I enjoy have our own space (as all married couples should!) we of course occupy one of those rooms.

It’s only fitting the girls share a room while the boy has his own. It is also important to note we have all 3 kids on the same sleep schedule which means they all go to bed at 8PM. Since our girls do not like this 8PM bed time they make every excuse in the world to not sleep.

The best way – we have found at least – to get them to bed at 8PM is to put one child in our bed and one child in their room. After they fall asleep and when we get ready to go to bed we move the child out of our bed and into theirs. We try to rotate the kid in our bed to even things out. So that is the WHY we do it so turn your frowns upside down…don’t you judge me! :)

Anyway, the reason I am writing – I know you’ve been waiting eagerly.

Some nights Justin will stay up later then me so instead of moving a kid I’ll just climb into my bed next to them. Every time this occurs I wake them up just enough to tell them how much I love them and smother them in kisses as they fall back asleep.

I then usually just hold their little hand in mine. It pulls at my heart strings! There is something preciously magical about holding your child’s hand in yours. I have small hands, but I can still completely enclose their hand in mine.

To me this represents their childhood. I won’t be able to do this forever. A time will come where they don’t want to be in Mommy and Daddy’s bed, so for now I enjoy those nights where I can just hold their hands and pray. I pray that God uses those tiny hands and those tiny fingers for his glory. That these tiny hands and those tiny fingers become grown up hands and grown up fingers and work only to please our Heavenly Father. I also thank God for giving me the opportunity to be their “parent” and have these moments with them – even if they are asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment