Labels

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Whose Job Is It Anyway?

As parents (plural!) I know it is both of our jobs to raise our kids to be Godly, respectful, and obedient. But whose job is it really to ensure they are good Women/Men of God?

With two little girls I feel obligated to teach them to respect themselves and be Godly women. I feel that as the “female” role model I need to take on more responsibility in this area. However, it is also important for them to see and experience how a Godly man treats a woman. To me this means when they get older Justin will take them out on “dates”. He will open their doors and all the other gentleman like things. He should never abuse them (physically or emotionally) or call them names. He should be the spiritual head in our house (pray with them etc).

So whose job is it? I know it is a combination of both, but the responsibility has to rely more heavily on one parent then the other, right?

I’ve been thinking about this more and more now that our little boy is on the way. I told Justin one night, “You know you have to teach him to be a gentleman!” He told me he was taught his chivalrous ways from his mom so it should be my job. I just think… doesn’t it mean more if it comes from the “man” of the house? Justin always opens my door and even puts the toilet seat down! I can tell my son all day that he should do these things, but I feel like it would mean more if the ‘man’ that is supposed to be doing these things is the one telling him to do it. Maybe I’m wrong. And I know it will be, as said before, a job for both of us. But who is primarily responsible?

No comments:

Post a Comment